Years ago, my younger sister talked me into trying whole wheat pasta instead of just white. Ever since, I typically buy whole wheat unless the type of noodle is not available. I would by whole wheat bread, but my husband hates it and we waste bread if I buy two loaves. However, anytime I can buy whole wheat products over white flour products, I do.
For the past 6 months or so, I’ve only been buying wheat flour to bake with and no one in my house is complaining. I’ve used it in waffles, pancakes, muffins, zucchini bread, and more.
I started pondering why I think this is so good for me and I really didn’t have an answer, so I started researching the benefits of wheat over white and here are some good things I found:
- It has more naturally occurring nutrients (instead of being taken out and placed back in by humans)
- Women who eat whole grain products weigh less
- They reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome
- Lower type 2 diabetes risk
- Lessens chronic inflammation
- It’s good for your digestive system
- Helps protect against cancers
Read more about it for yourself at these sources:
Try to substitute some of your white flour products with whole wheat and whole grain – for you and your family!