Someone gave me a whole big bowl of frozen local blueberries, so I just had to make some muffins with them. I had a bag of wheat flour in the fridge, so I looked up a recipe this morning on their website and man, those muffins were good! Easy to assemble and bake and they were a hit with all of us. 🙂
King Arthur 100% Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
|Hands-on time:||7 mins. to 12 mins.|
|Baking time:||18 mins. to 20 mins.|
|Total time:||25 mins. to 32 mins.|
- 2 1/4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour or Premium Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or plain (not Greek) yogurt; or 1 1/4 cups liquid whey* (Mandy’s Note: I used Siggi’s drinkable yogurt I found at Target the other day – it’s so good!)
- cinnamon-sugar or coarse white sparkling sugar for topping, optional (Mandy’s Note: I used raw sugar and cinnamon)
*The liquid drained from plain yogurt when you make thick, Greek-style yogurt.
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease the cups of a standard muffin pan; or line with paper baking cups, and grease the paper cups.
2) Whisk together all of the dry ingredients, including the blueberries.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, vegetable oil, and buttermilk or whey.
4) Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring just to combine.
5) Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them nearly full. A slightly heaped muffin scoop of batter is the right amount.
6) Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with coarse sparkling sugar or cinnamon sugar, if desired.
7) Bake the muffins for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
8) Remove the muffins from the oven, and after 5 minutes (or when they’re cool enough to handle) transfer them to a rack to cool. Serve warm, or at room temperature. Store leftovers loosely wrapped at room temperature.
Yield: 12 muffins.